Brave (web browser)
|Operating system||Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|License||Mozilla Public License, version 2|
History[edit | edit source]
Brave is developed by Brave Software which was founded on May 28, 2015, by Brendan Eich and Brian Bondy. Brave was first announced by co-founder Brendan Eich on January 20, 2016 with the stated goal of providing an alternative to the widely adopted system of providing free content to end users supported by advertising revenue that is employed by many content creators and publishers on the World Wide Web.
Eich sees the Web as facing a "primal threat" consisting of a growing conflict between advertisers and users—advertisers who have incentives to collect and store detailed and often very personal information about web users in order to deliver more effective advertisements, and users who are increasingly averse to the collection of their personal information.
Publishers' rewardings[edit | edit source]
Due to its advertisements blocking, Brave came out with an innovative system to reward publishers, called Brave Payments. This system allows users to optionally set a budget that they are willing to donate to the websites they visit. Brave will then calculate the percentage assigned to each website through an algorithm and the publisher receives a transfer in bitcoins if it opts into the system.
Critical reception[edit | edit source]
Critics have generally responded positively to the release of the beta version, stating that the browser "is competitive with and in some cases [outperforms] mature browsers in some benchmarks." An older version (0.7) was categorized as "mighty primitive". Others have stated that Brave is "very fast" with "quirks."
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "brave/browser-laptop". GitHub. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "brave/browser-android". GitHub. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "brave/browser-ios". GitHub. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "Brave is the speedy browser that strips out web tracker and ads (for now) - TechSpot". Techspot.com. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- "Introducing Team Brave...". Brave.com.
- "How to Fix the Web". Brave.com.
- Tarnay, Katalin (2013-06-30). Research and Development in E-Business through Service-Oriented Solutions. IGI Global. p. 159. ISBN 1466641827. https://books.google.com/books?id=-tieBQAAQBAJ. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- Frequently Asked Questions : Brave Payments. https://brave.com/faq-payments/. Retrieved 2017-08-05.
- Patrizio, Andy (2016-02-04). "Benchmark tests: How the Brave browser compares with Chrome, Firefox, and IE 11". Network World. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- Renn, Aaron (2016-04-13). "Media's response to Brave Browser shows once again why they are going down the tubes". Urbanophile. Retrieved 2016-11-28.
[edit | edit source]
- Official website
|This article uses material from Brave (web browser) on Wikipedia, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors).|