|Broadcast area||Over 100 countries on devices running iOS, tvOS, watchOS, Android, OS X, and Windows|
|Slogan||Worldwide. Always on.|
|First air date||June 30, 2015|
|Format||Freeform radio, Rhythmic contemporary, Urban contemporary|
Beats 1 (often styled Beats1 or beats1) is a 24/7 music radio station owned and operated by Apple Inc. The station airs a mix of pop, rap and indie music. Its DJs include Zane Lowe, who left BBC Radio 1 to join Beats 1, Ebro Darden, who hosts a hip hop music based radio show, and Julie Adenuga, whose show focuses on music from the United Kingdom.
History[edit | edit source]
Apple bought audio equipment maker Beats Electronics in 2014, which included the ownership of Beats' former music service Beats Music, and made Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers responsible for the iTunes Radio service. Business Insider later reported that Apple was planning to merge the two services together. Apple also hired Zane Lowe as a music curator.
The day of Beats 1's launch, The Guardian revealed that they had been given pre-recorded examples of Beats 1 programming, and said it "suggests an eclectic mix of programming to fill the 24-hours-a-day of broadcasting."
When Apple refreshed the Apple Music interface in 2016, Beats 1 reportedly became harder to get to.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Reception for the Apple-run station has been mixed. Quartz analyzed the track list of songs that were aired on Beats 1 in its second week. "Though Beats 1 is an eclectic mix of genres, some listeners have complained that it plays too much hip-hop." However, they did note that "there is a reasonable amount of diversity..."
Mashable complained of "dynamic-range compression, which squashes the volume range of audio" and also said "The variety can be a blessing and a curse...it jumps all over the musical spectrum...If I wasn't committed to listening to nothing but Beats 1 for this review, I would have turned it off."
9to5Mac had a generally positive review of the station, saying "Although Beats 1 is advertised as a 24/7 station, it isn’t really true. The schedule is set up on a 12 hour basis, so for the other 12 hours it plays a recording of the last 12 hours...This is frustrating for me, being based in the UK. If I listen in the afternoon and in the following morning, I am likely to hear the same shows repeated...In summary, Beats 1 as a concept is great... It needs some work on the software side and the production side to make it really shine."
Fortune said "I haven’t liked every song played on Beats 1, but the personal bond I instantly felt with each DJ has been strong enough for me to resist the urge to go back to a lifeless algorithm."
Kirk McElhearn wrote "Beats 1 radio is clearly a loss-leader. Apple has designed it to draw people into Apple Music and get them interested. But the station is designed for just one demographic: the young, pop/rock/hip-hop listener. As such, it’s a non starter for a lot of Apple Music customers, and that’s a shame."
Format[edit | edit source]
Beats 1 broadcast a mix of music focusing on new music and artists. Unlike the playlists for the "stations" on ITunes Radio. The Next Web claims that "The overarching aim of Beats 1 is to curate cool new music, whether it be new talent or fresh music from established artists."
Ebro Darden hosts a 2-hour show on Beats 1 in which he plays a mix of both hit and obscure songs and interviews artists in-studio. His show is broadcast from New York.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Availability of Apple Music, Apple Music Radio, and iTunes Match". apple.com.
- Sisario, Ben (2015-06-25). "Zane Lowe, the D.J. Scratching Out Beats 1 for Apple". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/arts/music/zane-lowe-the-dj-scratching-out-beats-1-for-apple.html.
- Karp, Hannah; Dezember, Ryan; Barr, Alistair (2014-05-30). "Apple Paying Less Than $500 Million for Beats Music Streaming Service". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. http://online.wsj.com/articles/apple-paying-just-under-500-million-for-beats-music-streaming-service-1401403287.
- Wakabayashi, Hannah Karp and Daisuke. "With Apple-Beats Deal Complete, Ian Rogers To Run iTunes Radio". Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "What we're hearing about the new music-streaming service Apple is developing in secret". Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Zane Lowe: 'I'm not sure that Apple Music needs Beats 1'". Telegraph.co.uk. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11898816/Zane-Lowe-Im-not-sure-that-Apple-Music-needs-Beats-1.html.
- "Beats 1 to Get Sister Stations, If Trademark Filings Are Any Indication". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/6821678/beats-1-to-get-sister-stations-if-trademark-filings-are.
- Rogelet, Sylvain. "Quatre nouvelles radios pour Apple ?". Consomac. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- Times, Tech (2015-12-31). "Apple Music To Add 4 New Beats Radio Stations, What Genres And Regions Could Their Formats Cover?". Tech Times. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/120265/20151231/apple-music-to-add-4-new-beats-radio-stations-what-genres-and-regions-could-their-formats-cover.htm.
- Rossignol, Joe. "Apple Files Trademarks for Beats 2, 3, 4, and 5 Radio Stations". Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- Miller, Chance (2016-10-13). "Comment: Beats 1 station deserves an Apple Music-like revamp in year 2". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- Sonnad, Nikhil. "We analyzed a month of Beats 1 tracks to figure out Apple’s taste in music". Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- Perkins, Chris. "I listened to Beats 1 for a week and all I got was a headache [REVIEW]". Mashable. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- Mayo, Benjamin (2016-01-19). "Do you listen to Beats 1? Here’s what Apple can do to improve its radio station & encourage more people to tune in". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Why Apple’s Beats 1 is music streaming done right". Fortune. 2015-07-02. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Beats 1, Apple's Radio Station, Looks Like It's A Hit -- and Maybe a New Digital Direction". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6620294/beats-1-apples-radio-station-looks-like-its-a-hit-and-maybe-a-new-digital.
- "Here's what people are saying about Beats 1, Apple's new global radio station". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/what-people-think-about-apple-beats-1-radio-station-music-2015-7.
- McElhearn, Kirk (2015-07-27). "We’ve Got Beats 1 Radio, but What About Beats 2, Beats 3, Etc.?" (in en-US). Kirkville. http://www.mcelhearn.com/weve-get-beats-1-radio-but-what-about-beats-2-beats-3-etc/.
- Swanner, Nate (2015-09-29). "Zane Lowe is crazy if he doesn't think Apple Music needs Beats 1" (in en-US). The Next Web. http://thenextweb.com/music/2015/09/29/zane-lowe-is-crazy-if-he-doesnt-think-apple-music-needs-beats-1/.
- "Apple's rebranded Music Festival will be livestreamed on Beats 1". Engadget. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "Ebro Darden: the DJ who curates the sound of New York on Beats 1". Engadget. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "What Apple's Beats 1 Means for Your Radio Brand | Mark Ramsey Media LLC". www.markramseymedia.com. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "Don’t Compare Lady Gaga To Madonna (Or Anyone Else), Because She Says So". MTV News. http://www.mtv.com/news/2945958/lady-gaga-shades-madonna/.
- Guide, Game & (2016-11-02). "Bruno Mars Failure Lead Him To His Success: Find Out How He Coped With Failure". Gamenguide. http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/61961/20161102/bruno-mars-apple-music-24k-magic.htm.
- "Watch Chance the Rapper's Full Interview with Zane Lowe on Beats 1 - Noisey". Noisey. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
[edit | edit source]
|This article uses material from Beats 1 on Wikipedia, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors).|