2015 St. Louis riot
|2015 St. Louis Riot|
|Parties to the civil conflict|
On August 19, 2015, protests turned into a riot in St. Louis following the shooting of an unarmed black man named Mansour Ball-Bey by St. Louis Police. Rumors surrounded the killing of Ball-Bey as to whether he was unarmed when shot by police, and crowds gathered in the street to express anger at the killing. The demonstrators eventually turned violent as the day wore on, and civil unrest lasted into the night.
Shooting of Mansour Ball-Bey[edit | edit source]
On the morning of August 19, 2015, officers arrived at Ball-Bey's aunt's home in the Fountain Park neighborhood of St. Louis to execute a search warrant. As police prepared to enter the home, two males ran from the house, one of whom was Ball-Bey, who police claimed pointed a gun at them. Police fired their weapons, striking Ball-Bey in the back and killing him. Ball-Bey's family attorney disputed the police claim. The attorney claimed Ball-Bey was running from police when shot, explaining the bullet wound to the back.
Riot[edit | edit source]
In the afternoon of the same day, angry residents took to the streets of Fountain Park to express outrage at the killing of Mansour Ball-Bey. Police responded with riot officers, and protests soon took a turn for the worse as protesters began throwing bricks, rocks and bottles at the police, who responded with tear gas. The angry crowd fanned out through the city, looting stores and continually clashing with police. Empty buildings and several cars were torched during the violence, and gunshots were fired. 9 people were arrested during the unrest.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Protests in St Louis as Missouri police kill another black teen". 20 August 2015.
- CNN, Ben Brumfield and Dana Ford. "St. Louis protests result in tear gas, 9 arrests". CNN.
- "Racial tensions reignited in St. Louis after police kill black suspect — PHOTOS". 20 August 2015.
- Murdock, Sebastian; Stewart, Mariah (19 August 2015). "Police Kill Armed Black Man In St. Louis On Anniversary Of Another Officer-Involved Shooting" – via Huff Post.
- "Autopsy: St. Louis Teenager Mansur Ball-Bey Was Shot In Back By Police Officer". 21 August 2015.
- Bogan, Christine Byers, Jesse. "Circuit Attorney's Office launches investigation into death of Mansur Ball-Bey".
- "Police send Mansur Ball-Bey shooting report to circuit attorney’s office for review". 19 April 2016.
- Kvicala, Kevin. "Watch: Tensions flare in St. Louis after shooting - HLNtv.com".
- "Rumors fed unrest following St. Louis police shooting: alderman". Reuters. 21 August 2017.
|This article uses material from 2015 St. Louis riot on Wikipedia, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors).|